Sunday, September 23, 2007

Finally My Ethiopian Queen

In my last post, I left off with having another doll completed. Well, I finally got around to getting a few photos. I don't think this doll wanted to be photographed. I say that because I took several photos at different times of the day and somehow the lighting was always wrong. I finally gave up a kept the best ones out of the bunch. That's what took me so long to post her. Well even though she didn't want to be photographed, she was a delight to make. She's a pattern designed by Kookie Davis in the May 2005 issue of the Soft Dolls and Animals Magazine. I used the quilters strip piecing method on a muslin base to make the body and robe. I used a paperclay face mask which I painted to suit the costume. The mask used was designed by Sandy Pine and used for her Miranda the Mermaid pattern. It had the expression I wanted so it went perfectly after painting it. The staff was made from a twig found in my own backyard. It had already dried out so all I had to do is sand it a little and give it a coat of varnish. Once it dried I wrapped a portion of the staff with suede laces and added a few beads to embellish. This doll looks more complicated than it is to make. As for her name. I didn't get the chance to name her. She actually had one of my friend's name her. I was told by a friend who saw her photo, her name is FuWenne' (Fu-way-nay). So Fuwenne' it is!
I have a couple things in the works right now and I'm doing a little experimenting. I hope to come back with something interesting. So until then..........

8 comments:

Judi Wellnitz said...

Beautiful! Love all the fabrics you used!

Trish Williams said...

She is wonderful and I love her face the most.

Trish Williams said...

Venus,
I love her and her face the most. She's just wonderful

Belinda Manning said...

Venus,
She's absolutely gorgeous. I really love what you've done with this down

Anonymous said...

oh fuwenne. that doll is all that and a bag of smokes.word, ms. venus your honor maam. that doll make a brother feel like he over there. well they about 2 turn off the lights here. later one

Anonymous said...

THE ETHIOPIAN QUEEN LOOKS LIKE THE ALIEN IN THE MOVIE SPECIES...CHIQUITO

Patti LaValley said...

congrats on your challenge win on FOCD! and I love this ethnic doll. I too love to create ethnic dolls, love to mix the textures and colors in a soup. I really love this doll! Very nice work indeed

jandee said...

OH Venus!!What a beauty!! I keep saying this is my favorite and you keep changing my mind...ALways a new favorite!!! What a joy to visit your blog Hugs Jandee