Sunday, September 23, 2007
Finally My Ethiopian Queen
In my last post, I left off with having another doll completed. Well, I finally got around to getting a few photos. I don't think this doll wanted to be photographed. I say that because I took several photos at different times of the day and somehow the lighting was always wrong. I finally gave up a kept the best ones out of the bunch. That's what took me so long to post her. Well even though she didn't want to be photographed, she was a delight to make. She's a pattern designed by Kookie Davis in the May 2005 issue of the Soft Dolls and Animals Magazine. I used the quilters strip piecing method on a muslin base to make the body and robe. I used a paperclay face mask which I painted to suit the costume. The mask used was designed by Sandy Pine and used for her Miranda the Mermaid pattern. It had the expression I wanted so it went perfectly after painting it. The staff was made from a twig found in my own backyard. It had already dried out so all I had to do is sand it a little and give it a coat of varnish. Once it dried I wrapped a portion of the staff with suede laces and added a few beads to embellish. This doll looks more complicated than it is to make. As for her name. I didn't get the chance to name her. She actually had one of my friend's name her. I was told by a friend who saw her photo, her name is FuWenne' (Fu-way-nay). So Fuwenne' it is!
I have a couple things in the works right now and I'm doing a little experimenting. I hope to come back with something interesting. So until then..........